Tuesday, July 11, 2017

CRP Levels & Lupus

I usually post upbeat things here...things that are motivational, not posts where I complain or seem scared.  Today is a little different, because I want to be open with you about how I'm feeling right now.

Yesterday I spent the morning in the emergency room.  I had pushed myself too hard over the weekend, didn't get enough sleep, and ended up with what I thought was a stomach virus but might be a lupus flare up.

My CRP (c-reactive protein) is normally between 0.2 and 1.2 which is pretty good for someone with lupus, but yesterday it was 11.  The doctor said it could be from being sick, or it might be the sign of a lupus flare.  I won't know until the doctor re-tests it next week.  If it comes down, then I was fighting a virus and that's what caused it to spike.  If it stays up, then it might be a lupus flare and I'll have to use oral steroids (prednisone) to bring it back down. I hate that drug though and try to avoid it at all costs, especially due to long term side effects of it that scare me too much!  But if I have to take it, I will do what I need to to get healthier.

If you have lupus and you're reading this blog, do your CRP levels go up when you're sick with an illness other than lupus (like the stomach flu, for example)?

The hardest part of all of this for me is that I had been feeling great prior.  We went on a 34 mile bike ride where I towed our almost 3 year old son on my bike the entire way.  I haven't had a lot of aches or pains lately.  I've been feeling good.  So good, that I think I pushed myself too hard pretending that I don't have lupus.  I know I do, and that it's all a marathon and not a sprint, but that's the part I find the hardest mentally.  Balancing things when I feel good so that I don't wear myself out.  We have an active young son who I love spending every moment with, and when I was sick yesterday morning it broke my heart that I couldn't play with him.  He is so sweet though and got his doctor set out and pretended to give me an exam :)  Seriously, just the sweetest little boy!

I would love advice on how you balance your life so that you don't push yourself too hard when you feel good, but also so that you do exercise and enjoy life.  I guess a good start would have been doing a shorter bike ride ;)

I hope you all are feeling good and hanging in there!  I am sorry this post is a little rambly, but I just wanted to get all of my thoughts out before my little guy needs my attention.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I think this has to be one of my major issues, I feel good so I tend to do as much as I can, cause I am not always sure tomorrow I will have the energy. Then I pay the price cause my body will be is so much pain. I just upped my does of Celebrex, which is really making me tired, so today I went back done to 30 mg. I injected methotrexate once a week, usually makes me feel better 2 days after. And of course plaquenil everyday. It is so hard not to think about how life was before Lupus. I use to go to the gym 6 to 7 days a week, lifted weights took classes, and now I work on a project in my yard and I pay the price the next day. I am not letting this slow me down, its just some days I get so frustrated. I just found your blog today, and reading it makes me feel less crazy.. :) Thanks Anne

    ReplyDelete